Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My List

In recent years, Country artist Toby Keith has started putting out a lot of trash. But I can remember when he still had good music coming out. One particular song he did is called "My List."

My List
Under an old brass paperweight is my list of things to do today
Go to the bank and the hardware store, put a new lock on the cellar door
I cross 'em off as I get 'em done but when the sun is set
There's still more than a few things left I haven't got to yet

Go for a walk, say a little prayer
Take a deep breath of mountain air
Put on my glove and play some catch
It's time that I make time for that
Wade the shore and cast a line
Look up a long lost friend of mine
Sit on the porch and give my girl a kiss
Start livin', that's the next thing on my list


The song of course goes on from there, but it gives the general idea of the sweet, simple power of the song.

Well, I spent my whole break redoing my room. I got to spend some time with friends, and I even had Tolkienfest. But there were some things that I'd wanted to do that I hadn't done. Last night, I emailed a friend I hadn't talked to in three years. Do you have any idea how good that felt? And she wrote back, too. Ecstatically, with all the energy and joy I remembered her being full of. It just overflows from her.

Another thing I've been wanting to do: I managed to sort and organize my room while redoing it. And I really, truly plan on keeping it neat and orderly now. After all, I have a room to be proud of.

It's funny what you find when you sort and organize. I found my copy of Purpose Driven Life. I read it my junior year of high school. Or rather, I theoretically read it. We were given an optionally mandatory assignment/opportunity (one of the most stupid ideas they had in my time at that school) to read it. I had originally wanted to read it, sure, but when we had to start writing odd journals on each chapter, I lost my vigor for the book. I seem to recall fudging my way through a few of those journals toward the end. Well, I plan on reading it on my own. As a matter of fact, I already started it. I also want to read Mere Christianity. Why not? My brother's copy is sitting on the game room floor. I'm sure he'll be willing to loan it to me, and it's high time I get that read, too.

So, if you don't mind, I'm going to take my cup of tea, sit down on my nice, clear windowseat, and read Day 4 of Purpose Driven Life.

No comments: